After getting some good rest last night, I felt MUCH better today! Our second day of training went well...and we finished just before 3:00 just like they requested. Just as we were about to leave we were told that Lieutenant Colonel Samuel wanted to see us. We were ushered into his office (that had a "Do Not Enter" sign taped to his office door). He thanked us for coming out to Alaska and for the support we had provided to his team. Then he presented us each with an Award of Excellence Coin! We were all very surprised...we certainly weren't expecting that! Its a neat coin! Part of the inscription on it says "Arctic Sappers"! It will definitely be a neat treasure to remember this trip!
So of course, after work it was time to get back started on our quest to see Alaska! First things first we found a place to eat dinner. We settled on a place called Snow Goose in Downtown Anchorage.


And I got a Caribou Cheeseburger!! It was good...but it definitely had a different taste to it. Who can visit Alaska and not eat a Caribou Cheeseburger!!!! :)

After we ate, we decided to venture North and go check out
Chugach State Park....just 20 miles outside of Anchorage.
Of course, I couldn't stop taking pictures the entire way there. Everywhere you look there's a picturesque mountain scene....




Check out this
Walmart!!!









Its been raining all day....and it finally stopped as we were making our way to
Chugach State Park. This rainbow appeared. I have never in my life seen a rainbow so clear, bright, and HUGE! It was like we could reach out and touch it! The picture of course doesn't come close to showing what it looked like in person...

We made it to the State park and decided to walk the mile and a half trail to see
Thunderbird Falls!




Here it is...
Thunderbird Falls!!!

We managed to also find a trail that took us down to the creek...

This picture was taken at almost 9:00 (in the evening) and it was as bright as it would be at 4:00 in the afternoon at home!

On our way back to Anchorage...still taking pictures...

The brownish building in the right side of the picture below is our hotel. The inside is VERY nice!

Another view in town...almost 10:00 at night...

We have another day tomorrow to explore a new part of Alaska!! I can't wait. I'm falling in love with this place!
3 comments:
Looks like a nice trip. I bet you slept well this weekend.
Woodman...your pictures are AWESOME! You have really made me want to go to Alaska!
Hi Woodman, I just now read your blog about Alaska. The pictures are beautiful. Dick and I would love to visit there someday. Linda
Post a Comment