Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Could someone please press PAUSE?

...or call a time-out - that would work too! It seems I can hardly even catch my breath before another task or scheduled event is calling my name. Life is non-stop...but the funny thing is, i don't really have a whole lot to show for my "busy-ness." The alarm clock buzzes way before I'm ready to open my eyes. I hit snooze at least a half-dozen times, roll over to kiss my sleeping husband good morning. Quietly roll out of bed. Tip-toe to the bathroom and gently ease the door shut so the light from the bathroom doesn't wake my precious husband (who gets to sleep at least an hour longer than I do because it takes him a total of 5 minutes to get ready in the morning). I turn the shower water on to let it run for at least 3 minutes before the water gets hot...all the while debating in my head whether or not today will be the day I call in sick. I use every bit of energy I have to scrub my head and rinse the conditioner out of my hair. I finish my duties in the bathroom, too tired to hold up my arms to dry my hair - I let that wait. Now to the living room to start my day off with my Father. The time always is too short - after what seems to have only been five minutes - the clock tells me something much different. I hear Scott starting to stir in the bedroom so I return to him to greet him with a second good morning kiss. The morning goes on: breakfast, vitamins, pack up the laptop, make sure I have my phone, oh and don't forget my glasses..they're still laying on my Bible. Noah is meowing at the back door ready for breakfast. Ten minutes before I am about to leave for work, Scott and I get into a conversation that I certainly don't want to cut short. Before I know it, its 8:15 and I still have a 45 minute commute to work. No worries - I have two new Johnny Hunt sermons to listen to on my ipod that will pass the time. I get to work, check my email and review my list of things that need to be done today. By this time its almost lunch. I grab a quick lunch at the drive-thru that has the shortest line, run by the post office, swing through the ATM, oh and Scott needed me to grab something at Walmart . Back at work - now its 1:30. I've got a meeting at the TEOC at 2:00. It's 3:30 when we finally get done with that. I've got to leave work no later than 4:00 because I have an hour drive to Brandon and have to be there by 5:00 to work at the Link (the coffee house at our church). I finally get home at 8:30. The dishes are still in the sink from last night. We have no towels clean for tomorrow morning. Three dress shirts of Scott's have been hanging from the living room door-frame for a week waiting to be ironed. Noah is at the door meowing for supper. His automatic water thing is all mildewy because Scott mowed the yard two days ago and blew grass all in it. My ferns are turning brown because the only time I remember to water them is on my way to work in the mornings. Oh yeah, I never ate supper and now I'm starving - oh well. I make a list of the things I need to do during tomorrow's lunch and then am reminded of everything I DIDN'T get done at work today. Its getting close to bed time now. Scott warns me he is going to bed in thirty minutes. (He has to do that because I like to go to bed at the same time he does but it takes me about thirty minutes longer to get ready for bed.) I brush my teeth, wash my face, pick up the pile of dirty on the bathroom floor and escort them to the laundry room. That reminds me, I never started the dish washer. I finally manage to make it to bed and Scott's already there - tucked in snuggly and half way asleep. I lay my head on the pillow - reach for my Charles Stanley devotion on my night stand and take a deep breath. By the time I'm done with that my eyes are getting heavy. I roll over ever-so-slightly to reach the lamp. Aah! It feels so good to just lay here. And then I hear the dryer buzzer go off. The towels are ready for in the morning.

Another day goes by without getting to workout....I'll get up in the morning and do it all over again. I don't even have kids yet. How will this EVER work?? I suppose somehow, supernaturally, it will all just fit. I know God knew what he was doing when he put 24 hours in a day....but it sure seems sometimes that I could use another few dongs of the grandfather clock....or a "pause" every now and then! Welp, busy or not..I LOVE being married...and it just keeps getting better every day!!!

1 comment:

Kim said...

So kids do add another dimension, but the busyness is a different kind of busy. My day runs similiarly, but the craziness is my own. Miss you...