Friday, December 26, 2008

The Story on the Scarf

This scarf was a project I started I think 2 years ago. I was working on another scarf and Scott asks when I was going to make him one. I thought he was just being funny...and then he said he really wanted a camo one. So I filed that away and thought, "I'm going to make him one and when I'm done he is going to have to wear it." All along I was thinking he had just said that and didn't REALLY want one. Well, I eventually started on it but never worked on it very long at a time....hence it turned into a project that I still hadn't finished two years later. Each year when hunting season rolled around, he would ask me about it. "You got that scarf finished yet?" I would just say, "It'll be done by the time you need it this year." So finally this year, I was determined to finish it and surprise him with it.

Well, on Christmas Eve I was still frantically crotcheting trying to finish it to put in his stocking. As I was sitting in Kerri's living room working on it, I believe it was her that first noticed something about it. There was a definite pattern of an Ikthoos on the end I was working on. I was using a yarn that had a camo pattern that for two years had been a random pattern...and now all of a sudden about 1-foot of the scarf had a very distinct pattern....that definitely was NOT random....and I hadn't changed a thing I was doing!!! See if you can see it....

The side of the scarf thats on the bottom of the picture is the side I started the scarf on. Its a definite random camo pattern. And then on the opposite side of the scarf it clearly makes an Ikthoos shape with the center solid black!!

Is that strange or what!??!!? We all thought it was the most awesome thing!! When Scott opened his stocking the next morning, I told him the story how all of a sudden Kerri just noticed it...and he didn't believe me at first. He thought I had done it intentionally. Once I convinced him that I didn't do it, he thought it was the neatest thing.

He now calls it his "lucky scarf"! And he has actually worn it hunting!!!

No comments: