Friday, November 23, 2007

BBD - Big Buck Down

There's nothing like a textbook hunt! Me, Scott, my brother Mitt, and my cousin Ray all went hunting this morning on our farm. I started to not even go this morning even though I was anxious to hunt with my bow at the farm - simply because my brother hadn't been yet - and there are only a few stands up. My brother came and got me out of the bed when Scott told him I wasn't going. He said he wanted to get in the tree and film while I hunted. So off we went. Since I was trying to hurry I didn't even take a shower, I just hopped out of bed and got dressed. We made it to the stand about 5:45 and my brother climbed up first to get above me. We got all settled in and Mitt pulled out the range finder and handed it to me, but for some reason I couldn't see out of it so I handed it back to him. He shot a few reference points and pointed to a white leaf in the middle of the lane and told me it was 17 yards. With that reference point I tried to determine the distance for a few other spots to be ready for every possible shot!

As I sat there, with my mind reviewing everything I need to do when the deer walks out, I decided I didn't want a glove on my release hand because I wanted to be able to feel my release. Because like my brother had just warned, "if it CAN go wrong it will!" I tugged at my glove to get it off without having to take off my release. Then I realized that my release was too loose on my arm without the padding of my glove under it. The only problem was my release was velcro. Do I take the chance to take it off and make all that noise...and even worse...risk the BIG ONE stepping out with the release in my lap. After a little thought...I just had to do it. I couldn't have ANY excuse if I missed a deer. After I finally got it off (being very careful to make as little noise as possible) I was finally ready. No excuses! If I miss it was just simply a bad shot!

About 6:45 we saw the first action....two does walking on the other side of some thick stuff next to the river...too far of a shot..but at last....hunt number seven and I FINALLY see a deer! Mitt leaned over and whispered "Jinks over..get ready!" Ok....now I was pumped! BRING IT ON! I couldn't even hang my bow I was so excited. I just knew today was going to be the day. After my nerves settled from seeing the does, I started really getting cold. All I cared about was keeping my hands warm...I could just imagine a big buck walking in and not being able to feel my hands to make a shot!

Then...at 7:45 I saw some movement coming down the lane on my right side, the very spot I had been watching... waiting.... invisioning... something big to step out of....all I could see was legs...but they were heading our way. I tapped my brother and felt my heart rate increase. It seemed like it took forever for him to step out from behind the brush. I'm not sure what I was waiting on...but before I could stand up my brother whispered "stand up"! When he finally stepped out I couldn't believe his rack! As he was coming down the trail toward us he stopped about 20 yards away to make a scrape........he was standing at a perfect broad-side shot. I eased my bow back and every "tip" and "rule" anyone had ever told me was racing through my mind. Trying to keep my mind focused on the task at hand, I steadied my bow but there were a few sticks in my way so I waited. The more I waited, the more he turned towards me....then I heard Mitt say, "let down, let down." As I was easing my bow down the deer looked straight up at us. I paused, still holding my bow back...I thought it was over....then finally he looked down and I slowly let my bow down. As soon as I let down he started walking towards the perfect spot for the perfect shot. I was trying to get ready again, knowing I didn't have long...I made sure my arrow was notched, clicked my release back on and pulled back again....as soon as I got my bow pulled back and on the deer again my brother grunted. The buck stopped in his tracks, I center up my sights and pulled my release....thump! I got him!

My brother gave me a big high five....and then that's when I started really getting nervous!! I couldn't believe I had gotten a shot! I was shaking like a leaf!! Just like that it was over! Is there no rewind? Oh, and speaking of rewind. My brother that came along to record...well, he had the camera out...but somehow he forgot to hit record!! Oh well, hopefully the big buck was down and that's all the trophy I needed! I think my brother was more nervous than I was!

(Above: me and my brother)
Before we went to get the rest of the crew we tracked him down! Boy was it an awesome feeling to find him DOWN! He was about 100 yards away. An eight point with kickers, 17 inch spread, 200 pounds, 3.5 year old Beautiful deer! What a thrill! What a trophy!! My first buck. My first bow kill. And on the same farm where my brother killed his first deer (and it was with a bow!) I definitely have buck fever now!

We couldn't resist...when we went to go get Scott we just told him, "I stuck a small buck...and we hoped he was down." He was so excited when we "found" him...but he was wondering how in the world we were able to make such a "B" line for him! ha!

(Above: me and my husband, Scott)

I must mention....Scott hunted the morning before in the exact stand I was hunting. He also saw the exact deer walk out at the exact time! He let him pass...I guess he was saving him for me!


(Above clockwise: me, husband Scott, cousin Ray, brother Mitt)

(Above: me and Dad)

6 comments:

Shelley said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! I glanced at the pictures at church this morning!!8) You sure are a true hunter...bow and everything!!! That's a GOOD LOOKIN' deer!

Kim said...

WOW! Congratulations!

Just call me D said...

Woodman- that is an awesome deer! What a great story too. Looks like you had some great family time too. Gotta love that, and then a great buck on top of everything. So proud for you!

Keith said...

woodman - well, I guess I'll be the first guy to post a comment on your blog. Great story! That is my favorite part of the hunt. congrats on a great bow kill and a great first buck - Keith.

Huckelberry said...

Hey sis!

Gratz on the BIG BUCK!

Tell my brother not to be such a stranger
:)

*hugs*

C Berry said...

The buck is impressive, but how about those cookies further down on the blog! Will litigate for cookies.